Thank you for your interest in hosting a supply drive on behalf of Cleveland Kids In Need Resource Center. By coordinating a school supply drive, you will greatly contribute to our stock and, in turn, the classrooms across Cuyahoga County.
In an effort to make your drive as simple and successful as possible, Kids In Need has put together a Tool Kit, which includes the following resources:
- Helpful hints on getting started and promoting your drive
- Documents for labeling donation receptacles
- Templates for flyers and emails that can be used to promote your drive
Before you get started, consider the following:
- Determine what type of school supply drive you want to host. Examples include: a full school supply drive, collecting all of the items on the Most Needed Supply list; focusing on one specific item, like collecting just no. 2 pencils, or crayons, or glue, etc. ; or collecting new backpacks filled with the school supplies
- Get creative with the collection! Organize competitions; create teams and award prizes to those who collect the most.
- Choose the length of time and the dates during which you will host the supply drive. You can run your campaign for a day, a week, a month, a semester, or even year-round. We usually recommend 2-4 weeks.
- Select a location and the appropriate collection bins or boxes for your organization. Observe high-traffic and accessible areas.
The school supplies that teachers request the most includes, but is not limited to:
- Construction paper
- Copy paper
- Filler (lined) paper
- No. 2 pencils
- Colored pencils
- Crayons (24 pack)
Before the drive begins:
- Send out an email, memo and/or voicemail announcing the kickoff date (see Sample Emails)
- Include news about the upcoming drive in your invitations, newsletters and/or meeting announcements
- Distribute flyers to your staff and membership (see Supply Drive Flyer)
- Let the community relations or public relations department know about the drive
During the drive:
- Set up a box at your party and/or put boxes out in high-traffic areas
- Have some fun and decorate your collection box
- Make sure everyone is aware of what is on the Most Needed Supplies list
- Create fun themes, such as "Casual Crayon Fridays" to encourage and reward team donations
- Keep participants informed by tracking progress and celebrating successes
- Announce when the drive is reaching its end (about one week prior) for an extra kick
Once your school supply drive is complete, contact Tammi Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 216.361.0840 to arrange a day and time to deliver the items